question about upgrading

Okay, I've narrowed down my questions from the last post I placed. Maybe
someone can help me with these questions.

On my system I have these two files:
/usr/lib/libbfd-2.14.90.0.5.so
/usr/lib/libopcodes-2.14.90.0.5.so

I'm about to update to the latest release of binutils, how do I create these
two files but with the 2.16.1.so suffix(or whatever it may make)?

Will these new files replace/accompany the previous two?
I'm thinking accompany.

Please forgive my noob questions ;)

--bests all,
cg

--
The more corrupt the community, the stronger the
lure of individual achievement. -Alain De Botton

"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this
is not necessarily a good idea."  --RFC-1925

Windoz! A 32 bit extension and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to
an 8 bit operating system, originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition!

Linux IS user friendly! It's just selective about who it calls 'friend'.