Re: about writing a ld-extension to support linking 16-bit-gas code

> It might be more fun to write a TRUE 8086 binutils port.  Binutils has
> no problems with 16 bit ports per se, it's just that you're trying to
> do 16 bit fixups in a 32 bit port that makes it awkward.

a true 8086 port of course would be best but maybe the need for 16-bit
code generation isn't such big to get such a project going.
So maybe this admittedly awkward solution is the best possible.

> I think extending the existing 32-bit i386 linker would be easy, but
> logistically complex due to the number of people, projects, and
> organizations relying on it.

mmm!

> Alternately, I did write an OMF linker at one point.
> http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/16bit/djlink/

You can't produce OMF object files with gcc/gas, right ? - But it might
be helpfull, when i try to develop my own little linker or maybe i
should extend that one. I'll take a look at that. Thanks

josef