Re: gas/ld x86 16-bit 64kb limit and ominous "unreal mode"

>  Hmm, strange -- these quirks have been pretty well described in Intel's
> Pentium manual (I don't remember if these bits propagated to the Pentium
> Pro manual; I'd expect so, though, as it's been rather extensive per Intel
> standards) and breaking backward compatibility for *documented* behaviour
> is not anything I'd expect to see from Intel...

i guess so too!
I just wanted to know if anyone tried to circumvent the gas 64kb limit this
way. As i've now understood, it's for my pc-bios-project certainly of no
use because it would be too much overhead to switch to setup this mode
for each bios entry (at runtime). Therefore i try to patch ld or write
my own little one.

Thanks for the replies!
josef