Re: demangle.h license

Pjotr Kourzanov <peter.kourzanov@xs4all.nl> writes:

>    Looking at the latest sources of binutils-2.16.1 I found a slight
> licensing discrepancy. The include/demangle.h header is licensed under
> the GPL, while the functions it declares are implemented in libiberty,
> which is licensed under LGPL. Is this on purpose? Why, if I may ask?

This is most likely an accident.  The code in libiberty/cplus-dem.c
has been LGPL since the original egcs checkin in 1997, and
include/demangle.h has been GPL.  The code in libiberty was changed to
LGPL plus exception clause in 2003.  Incidentally,
libiberty/cp-demangle.c was created as GPL, not LGPL, in 2000, and the
exception clause was added in 2002.

I think it would be appropriate and reasonable to change
include/demangle.h to add the exception clause used in cplus-dem.c and
cp-demangle.c.  I'm not sure what to do with the issue of GPL
vs. LGPL, but given the presence of the exception clause I'm not sure
that it matters too much.

DJ, any thoughts?  Should I go ahead and do this?

Ian