Re: binutils, bfd library, debug.h/c files and so on...

Tarmo Pikaro <tapika@yahoo.com> writes:

> I want to revive this project and make it correctly.
> What I want to achieve is:
> - Ripping off completely debug information from files
> compiled by gcc.
>
> All the changes I will make to binutils source codes I
> want you to pick up and approve into newer versions of
> binutils.
>
> Please don't give me high level bullshit about .NET
> reflection, java...  I have studied them in forehead
> and pretty much I'm informed about their behavior.
>
> About the changes - so far I've found some problems
> with putting debug.h to work from c++ and I know that
> my predecessor have solved them already, also some
> function prototypes are missing and so on.

OK, makes sense.  Note that most toolchains these days use DWARF2 or
DWARF3 (except for Apple, which continues to use stabs).  Nobody has
written a debug.h interface for DWARF yet.

> Ok, but getting more into details is probably not
> intrested to anyone - I have explained here some
> basics.

This mailing list is all about the details, at least with regard to
how debug.h, etc., should be changed.

Ian