Re: --nfp configure option still alive?

Hi Lior,

powerpc-linux (IBM PowerPC 405 Embedded Core with no FPU). I used to
build gcc with --with-float=soft and --with-cpu=405 and everthing is
ok, but I'm not sure about passing a --nfp to the configure script of
binutils, and I just read in this script "--nfp is obsolete; use
--without-fp".

I'm confused now.

Right, the answer is "no the --nfp switch is not used by binutils for the PowerPC target (any CPU)". In fact looking at the GCC configure files as well, it appears that this switch is not used there either.

The reason for the "--nfp is obsolete" comment being present in the configure files is that it is added there automatically when then configure file is generated from the configure.in file. The autoconf program probably does not need to insert this comment any more (or the lines that handle --nfp) but it is safest to leave them in case someone has a very old configure command line lying around somewhere.

Cheers
  Nick