Disassembling mostly-unknown data

Hi all,

I'm having difficulty getting my head around the documentation regarding a particular special case I'm facing: I have a binary firmware image that I need to disassemble portions of. I know the CPU architecture (it's a MIPS) and ISA and all, but the binary image isn't in any format that binutils recognises, or that I even know (so I can't just add the binary format to bfd).

Ideally what I'd like to be able to do is have output similar to 'hexdump -C <file>', but with an added column containing the instruction that may (or may not) be at that particular address. Fortunately for me MIPS has a fixed instruction size of 32 bits although I suspect I may have to play with MIPS-16 at some point (thus, 16-bit instructions).

Would anyone be able to provide me with guidance pulling off such a tool?

Many thanks,
Chris

--
Chris Boot