Re: New 'as' port: GPL requirements?

John Moran <jmoran-binutils@cyconix.com> writes:

> In fact, the idea that making a call from a
> GPL'ed program into a library somehow converts the library into an
> extension of the GPL'ed program seems, to me anyway, to be utterly
> bizarre.

In addition to the other comments, I'll just note that the library
does not become a GPL'ed program.  However, your version of gas is
under the GPL.  That causes a license conflict, and the result is that
you may not distribute your version of gas, because distributing it
would require violating one license or the other.

That is, the license of gas does not change the license of the library
any more than the license of the library changes the license of gas.
But whenever you combine pieces of code which use different licenses
into a program, by any means, your actions are then constrained to the
intersection of both licenses.

I don't know what restrictions the proprietary library puts on the
combined program, but the GPL will permit building and running the
program, but it will not permit distributing it.

Ian