Re: New 'as' port: GPL requirements?

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

This conversation is _OFF TOPIC_ for this list. Please take it
somewhere else.

I would like to develop 'gas', but its licence terms may not make this possible. It seemed to me that this would be a suitable place to find out before proceeding on to specific technical matters. My apologies if I was mistaken.

In my opinion, as of that of many other posters on
this list, using a proprietary library to implement a gas port would be
a clear violation of the GPL; but the FSF's opinion is the only one
that matters.

Indeed not. The only opinion that matters is the opinion of a judge who interprets the licence. Unfortunately, GPL 2.0 doesn't even specify what jurisdiction should be used for disputes, so there could be many valid interpretations.

Even the little Googling that I've carried out over the past hour shows that there is major dispute on what constitutes a 'derivative' work under the GPL and, specifically, on the issue of static vs. dynamic linking. In the only case that appears to have explicitly tested the definition of 'derivative' (Progress Software vs. MySQL) the judge concluded that this was a matter of 'fair dispute'. However, even this ruling would be meaningless outside that particular jurisdiction.

John