Re: Link time affected by debug info?

On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 01:23:49AM -0800, Ravi Ramaseshan wrote:
[about debug info slowing down the linker]
> Shouldn't one expect that since there would be lots of relocations to
> be handled by the linker in the debugging sections ? Maybe the newer
> linker may be faster than whatever you were using, but I would still
> expect the linker to be slower when compiling your application with
> debugging information.

Yes, debug relocations will contribute to link time.  So will the mere
fact that the linker needs to copy more data around.  However, the
biggest time consumer is the optimisation.  Particularly with older
linkers, the string merging process takes a lot of time.  (Debug info
tends to have a lot of strings.)

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre