Re: Recommended target for HPUX 11.0

> Running the default configuration fails for 'ld' because the
> hppa2.0-*-*-* target is not supported for the linker.

I always use the HP linker with GCC.  I use the GNU assembler and
binutils tools, but the HP linker.

When dealing with GCC and HPPA HP-UX it is important to decide if you
want 32 bit or 64 bit code because GCC has separate compilers for the
two modes, it isn't just a flag you specify like it is on IA64 HP-UX and
other 32/64 bit platforms.  This is because 32 bit PA is SOM and 64 bit
PA is ELF.

For 32 bit PA, I don't think you can build a GNU linker, you have to use
the HP-UX one.  For 64 bit PA, there is a GNU linker and you can build
it with one of the hppa*64* targets.  But this linker is only good for
linking 64 bit objects together.  I just use the HP linker for both and
use "--with-ld=/usr/ccs/bin/ld" when I configure GCC for HPPA 32 or 64.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com