questions about adding target to Binutils source

Hello,
I have some questions about adding a new target to
Binutils source.
1. What's the benefit to add a new target to Binutils
source?
2. Is it allowable that modifying non-porting files
such as \gas\write.c?
3. I work on a lower Binutils version(2.14). which cvs
version should i check in the patches to? Does future
version support the new target?
4. Why should I look for someone to maintain the new
target? What is the job of the maintainer I should
look for?

     Thanks.
      jesse