How does one define a custom architecture to as and ld

Please excuse me if this is a duplicate. My first try seemed to go into the bit bucket.

We here at Boeing have a need to assemble code for an ancient processor - Teledyne TDY-43 - that is no longer supported by anybody. 64K max memory, all 16 bit instructions, 3 index registers and the usual kinds of things in that era processors.

I have not been able to discover how to define this processor to either as or ld. everything I can find tells how to use them with one of the predefined architectures.

I would appreciate finding out if this is possible, and if so where the documentation for making at least ld and possibly as work for this processor can be found.

Thanks for your help.

Robert Lindley

Robert.a.lindley@boeing.com <mailto:Robert.a.lindley@boeing.com>