Re: PATCH: Support more than 2 relaxation passes

On Wed, 2006-03-08 at 12:36, H. J. Lu wrote:
> We like to relax "addl r1=@gpel(foo),gp" from GPREL22 to GPREL64I,
> similar to br relaxation.

It isn't clear to me what you are suggesting here.  You want to convert
an addl to a movl?  How can that work, and what benefit do we get from
it?  Or maybe you meant this the other way around?

Anyways, it is clear that you want a new kind of relaxation that may
conflict with the existing ones, but ...

> code increase. I am not sure if we can do GPREL relaxation with
> LOTFF22X relaxation together since LOTFF22X may turn into GPREL
> and GPREL relaxation will also increase code size.

So you don't actually know if the 3rd pass is necessary.  Perhaps you
should resubmit the patch when you do know for sure whether it is
necessary.
--
Jim Wilson, GNU Tools Support, http://www.specifix.com