Re: binutils 2.17 branch

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 09:09:21PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Dmitry V. Levin <ldv@altlinux.org> [2006-03-17 18:40]:
> > > Yeah, I noticed that.  I see why you did it this way, though, and I
> > > think it will work better now than before - but I'd like it to have
> > > a bit of testing before it goes into a release; Debian folks have
> > > been complaining about bad --as-needed behavior since they discovered
> > > it.
> >
> > I'll provide my --as-needed testing results with 5000+ packages from
> > ALT Sisyphus in a few days.
>
> Did you ever post these results?  I cannot remember seeing anything.

I posted here 3 weeks ago about fixed binutils:
"No assertion fails, no internal errors, no segfaults anymore."

Of course a lot of binaries don't link when --as-needed is specified
due to incorrect usage: libraries specified before objects, objects linked
with underlinked libraries, etc.  These bugs are not related to binutils,
but since we enabled --as-needed by default in Sisyphus, we have to fix
such bugs.

--
ldv