libbfd Mac OS X support?

I was hoping someone could give me a heads up on the status of libbfd for Mac OS X.

I've written a nice (IMHO) little bit of code that can do stack unrolling on a variety of platforms -- my aim is to provide a C/C++ debugging capability similar to what is found in Java, where it dumps a stack trace any time something goes wrong. But this would be far more user friendly if the stack trace includes the actual function names and filename:linenumber in the output instead of just displaying raw return addresses. libbfd seems the sensible choice to pull the information out of the executable (assuming it was compiled with -g of course).

So I've gotten this all working under linux (thanks to looking at the source of addr2line to get around a few rough edges!), but I seem to be at an impasse with OS X because bfd_find_nearest_line maps to _bfd_nosymbols_find_nearest_line, which in turn maps to bfd_false, which does nothing ;) E.g.: addr2line does compile under OS X, it just doesn't seem to work:
./addr2line -f -e ../../../trace_test 0x3f1c
??
??:0
However, I see GDB is somehow able to extract file/function info, and afaik, it's using libbfd...

1. Which copy of bfd should I be linking against (i.e. the one in gcc, or gdb, or binutils...?)
2. Is bfd_find_nearest_line simply unimplemented on OS X, or is there something deeper?
3. Do you know how GDB extracts line info? (i.e. suggestions for workaround/next step?)

thank you for your time
  -ethan