GNU ld linker wrapping

Is this the right place to ask linking questions?

I'm hoping to use the linker to "protect" me from closed-source third-party libraries I can't get rid of.  Some are static and some are shared.  Some of the libraries use old versions of gcc/g++ such as g++-3.2.2.

My first idea, not yet attempted, is to use a thin C library to wrap the third-party 3.2.2 C++ library, only wrapping the few functions I need and ignoring all others, and then link the resulting C library against my own 3.4.5 ABI C++ code.

The third-party 3.2.2 library uses the older, version 5, C++ standard library that was normal for g++ 3.2.2.  My code uses version 6.  How would I tell the linker to use version 5 only for linking the third-party library, and use version 6 for linking everything else in my app?

Related to this I'm also wondering how to pull the third-party library into my wrapper library so that I only have to distribute one file.

Suggestions for better ways to attack this problem would also be welcome.

Thanks,

Shawn Yarbrough
Senior E-Trading Developer
Gelber Group, LLC