Compiling and linking 32 bit code on a 64 machine (AMD Opteron)

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a GCC question or a GNU ld question (or both), so
I'll try here first.  I'm trying to compile and link a C/C++ project on an
Opteron RHEL AS-3 machine, as 32 bit.  I've compiled GCC 3.4.6 and binutils
(both bootstrapped from the compiler that came with the machine), and I've
given the following options to GCC/LD:

GCC: -march=i386 -m32
LD: --format elf32-i686 -m elf_i386

I also have some -Lpath switches to pick up the 32 bit libraries.
Interestingly, at one point, ld tries to find libgcc_s.so, but can't find
it.  It does find the 64 bit version under my GCC 3.4.6 installation, but
can't find the 32 bit one because that's called libgcc_s.so.1 - there is a
symlink called libgcc_s_32.so to libgcc_s.so.1, but nothing called
libgcc_s.so here, so I created a link called that to point to libgcc_s.so.1.
Perhaps that is a GCC question, but did I do the Right Thing(tm)?

Now the whole project compiles and links, but there are two problems - one
is just annoying, the other fatal:

a) The first problem is that every time the linker runs it generates
warnings, as it first finds, for example, crti.o in
'/usr/lib/../lib64/crti.o'.  Now I've put -L/usr/lib as an option to ld, and
the info pages say these directories will be searched before the default
paths, but that doesn't appear to be happening - /usr/lib64 is still in the
mix.  I ran ld with --verbose and the SEARCH_DIRs do not include /usr/lib64.

b) Secondly, when I run one of the resulting binaries it fails horribly:

ksh: path/to/binary:  Accessing a corrupted shared library

file <binary> shows:

ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux
2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped.

How can I tell which library is causing this?  Can some kind soul shed some
light on these problems?  Perhaps I'm using the wrong options to begin with
- I tried to google for this, but didn't find any specific information for
what I'm trying to achieve.  This post is already quite long, so I won't
post any more detail such as --verbose output, unless someone asks.

Many thanks,

David Carter-Hitchin.
--
Royal Bank of Scotland
Interest Rate Derivatives IT

Tel: +44 (0) 207 085 1088

The Royal Bank of Scotland plc. Registered in Scotland No 90312. Registered Office: 36 St Andrew Square, Edinburgh EH2 2YB.
Authorized and regulated by the Financial Services Authority

systems or data. No responsibility is accepted by The Royal
Bank of Scotland plc in this regard and the recipient should carry
Visit our websites at:
http://www.rbos.com
http://www.rbsmarkets.com