Re: [RFC] multithreaded bfd?

> Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:59:46 -0400
> From: DJ Delorie <dj@redhat.com>
>
> Been thinking about how to speed up the linker some more.  Today's
> thought is to use multiple threads to take advantage of dual core
> processors that seem to be becoming popular.

Given that the linker is mostly doing IO (to memory and disk) it'd
really surprise me if this would yield a significant speedup.
Actually it wouldn't surprise me at all if it would just slow things
down, especially on dual core cpu's where the cores share a single
memory bus.

It'd also increase the complexity of the code, and debugging the
inevitable races in the code will be a nightmare.  So I'd argue that
something like this provably speeds things up by a significant amount
before comething like you're proposing gets committed.

Mark