RE: [RFC] slipping in symbol prefixes automagically via PROVIDE() in linker scripts

Hi Nick,

> > with the new binutils-2.17, it'd be good to switch to using the
> > generic elf.sc file ... but this _ prefix is standing in the way
>
> Which symbols in the elf.sc need this prefix and do not
> already have it ?  I looked through the file and it seems
> that most symbols are provided in an underscore prefixed
> version and a non-underscore prefixed version.
>   Or is it that you want to have *double* underscore prefixed
> versions and single underscore prefixed versions ?  (If so,
> are the double underscore prefixed versions really necessary ?)

I had a similar problem with an unreleased port I maintain. The symbols
that were problematic, which is by no means an exhaustive list, were:

__preinit_array_start
__preinit_array_end
__init_array_start
__init_array_end
__fini_array_start
__fini_array_end

>    ${RELOCATING+${END_SYMBOLS-_end = .; PROVIDE (${PREFIX}end = .);}}
>
> and in your bfin.sh file define PREFIX as "_".

This looks like a much cleaner way of doing it than copying and editing
elf.sc as we currently do.

******************
This e-mail has been sent from Imagination Technologies Limited.
PowerVR, Metagence, Ensigma and PURE Digital are divisions
of Imagination Technologies Limited.

The information contained in this e-mail, including any attachment,
is confidential and may be legally privileged.  It is intended solely
for the addressee(s) and access to this e-mail by anyone else is
unauthorised.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
copying or distribution or use of the information contained in this
e-mail, is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and then
delete it from your system.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure,
error or virus-free.  The sender does not accept liability for any errors
or omissions which arise as a result.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the author, except
where the author specifies and, with authority, states them to be the
views of Imagination Technologies Limited.