Re: [binutils patch]: -print-gc-sections option: print garbage collected sections

Hi H.J., Hi Marcelo,

I am forwarding it to the binutils mailing list.

I apologise for taking so long to getting round to reviewing this patch. As it stands the patch is OK, but incomplete. So I have taken the liberty of applying it along with the following changes:

  * I added a --no-print-gc-sections switch so that the option can be
    turned off.

  * I added documentation to the ld.texinfo file describing the new
    switches.

* I added an entry to the ld/NEWS file describing the new feature.

  * I changed the message that is printed so that it explicitly states
    that it is telling the user about a deleted section, and I used the
    bfd error handler routine so that the correct filename can be
    displayed.

* I created a set of ChangeLog entries for the patch.

Cheers
  Nick

ld/ChangeLog
2006-08-04  Marcelo Tosatti  <marcelo@kvack.org>

	* ldmain.c (main): Initialise print_gc_sections field of link_info
	structure.
	* lexsup.c: Add --print-gc-sections and --no-print-gc-sections
	switches.
	* ld.texinfo: Document new switches.
	* NEWS: Mention new switches.

include/ChangeLog
2006-08-04  Marcelo Tosatti  <marcelo@kvack.org>

* bfdlink.h (struct bfd_link_info): New field: print_gc_sections.

bfd/ChangeLog
2006-08-04  Marcelo Tosatti  <marcelo@kvack.org>

	* elflink.c (elf_gc_sweep): If info.print_gc_sections is true,
	list removed sections to stderr.