Re: [RFC] Simplify MinGW canadian crosses

[Also dropped the lists cygwin-patches and mingw-patches here]

On Aug 29 11:44, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 05:35:40PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Sorry, but that's not the deal.  Using my patches, you can install a
> > standard source tree, including gcc, gdb, binutils, [...], and last but
> > not least the winsup directory on, say, a Linux machine, and then build
> > a complete three stage canadian cross on *Linux*, which generates a
> > i686-pc-mingw32-x-arm-elf toolchain.  You don't have to install the MinGW
> > libraries and header files somewhere on the Linux machine and tweak the
> > build process to find them.  Everything comes out of the same source
> > tree.  From my point of view this simplifies stuff, it doesn't make it
> > more complicated.
>
> Are your changes affecting the i686-pc-mingw32 targeted compiler built
> in the middle?  Your description suggested that it affected the build
> process of the final canadian cross compiler.  If you're changing that
> second one, then none of my objections are relevant.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is: why doesn't "make install" when you've
> built the i686-pc-mingw32 compiler install everything you need to use
> that compiler to build i686-pc-mingw32 hosted applications?

It does.  I don't quite understand your objections.  You seem to
imply that my patches try to do something mysterious, but they don't.
You build a standard canadian, three staged, as usual:

  configure/make/install linux-linux-mingw
  configure/make/install linux-linux-arm
  configure/make/install linux-mingw-arm

None of my patches is actually complicated or adds any new feature.
They only fix bugs which hinder to build canadian crosses the right
way (TM).

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen