Re: linker option @FILE

Hi Matthias,

I am using this "@FILE" option with my VXWorks toolchain since 8 years. Because this is also a GNU toolchain (ld version cygnus-2.6 (with BFD cygnus-2.6)), I am a little bit confused, that this option should have been added recently (???).

Most likely what happened was that VXWorks added the @FILE feature to the linker that shipped to you, but that they did not contribute this feature back to the official binutils sources. So you had a modified linker that supported @FILE, whereas the official versions (prior to release 2.17) did not.

Linker support for @FILE was only recently added to the official sources, and it was not added by a contribution from VXWorks.

Cheers
  Nick