combining object files and managing relocatable symbols

I've got two ELF object files; let's call them A.o and B.o.

A.o refers to a symbol X, which is defined in B.o

What I want to accomplish is to create a new relocatable object file C.o from these object files such that:
1. the reference to X in A.o is resolved
2. symbol X in C.o is unavailable for further linking against. I guess this means reducing it to a local symbol.

Doing a partial link does step 1 ( ld -r -nostdlib -o C.o A.o B.o ).
However, I did not find a way to do step 2.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Erik Leunissen