Re: ld and holes in the address space

Hi Greg,

Has anything like this been contemplated before?

Not in the GNU binutils, but it has other linkers.

If I implement this, what are the chances that the maintainers will want this feature?

Medium. It sounds like a nice feature, although I wonder how many people would actually want it. My main concern though would be the probability that support for this feature would introduce new bugs into the linker, especially in areas not connected with the feature. A well implemented patch with a good testsuite would go a long way to relieving those concerns however...

Cheers
  Nick