Re: handle <local-source-name> in demangler

On 08/11/2006, at 5:28 PM, Mark Mitchell wrote:

I think the mangling itself is fine.

However, I still think that it is important to have aliasing directives for the assembler so that whatever name-mangling you use does not reach object files on systems with the appropriate assembler support. And, I still think you should commit to those improvements as part of the work that you are doing. In particular, I don't think you should make changes to G++ that make these new mangled names show up on GNU/Linux systems, provided people have new enough assemblers. If you will do this, it will help both LTO and IMA.

Since you've complained in the past that people have objected to some of your changes only after you have checked in patches, I want to make it clear that I'm objecting now.

Thank you for making it clear that you're objecting now!

I don't think I can commit to doing any work on GAS. If the new assembler becomes available before I've finished IMA, then I will try to make IMA use the new feature; this may or may not be useful for LTO. If the new assembler is not available then, what I have implemented now is that on ELF systems, if the compiler ever tries to put out a name in the new mangling then it will call sorry(). Is this acceptable?

Even if I decide to never contribute the IMA changes, cxxfilt should still support demangling these names, for compatibility with the Apple compiler and to interpret files produced with LTO (including assembly files on all systems and .o files on non-ELF systems), and so I should commit this patch (as modified once we've decided what the actual mangling should be). Is this acceptable?