Status of Solaris filter symbols support in GNU ld?

Hi all,

[ please cc-me on the replies ]

I have recently hit a bug where Solaris filter symbols are handled improperly by GNU ld and linked into resulting executable or shared library as symbols with absolute address 0x0, instead of linking them as dynamic symbols to be resolved by runtime linker.

The executable in question obviously segfaults when these symbols are encountered.

The original post describing the problem with links to bugreports and detailed description of how filter symbols work can be found here:

http://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=18778&tstart=0

The bugs in question can be observed in Nexenta, that is using GNU ld to link most of its software, the GNU ld version we use is:

> GNU ld version 2.16.91 20060118 NexentaOS GNU/OpenSolaris
> This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms > of
> the GNU General Public License. This program has absolutely no
> warranty.

Although I know that there is new upstream version of GNU ld available, and although I'm already working on integrating it in Nexenta, I have examined the ChangeLog and have not seen any changes related to Solaris filter symbols handling, thus I believe that the problem still exists in 2.17.x series of binutils.

Can anyone comment on the status of implementation of this feature in GNU ld, and also in GNU nm, which seems to be also unaware of the fact that something like filter symbols exist.

I'm offering my hand to fix the issue if someone will help me to get me started.

thanx for your time,
Martin

--
http://martinman.net