Re: Linux binary size after strip

El miÃ, 22-11-2006 a las 16:03 +0000, Nick Clifton escribiÃ:
> Hi Javier,
>
> > Now I have stripped some of these sections, but the size of the binary
> > has not decreased.
>
> Possibly the sections have alignment requirements so that after
> stripping they are still padded out to some fixed size ?

Each section has a 4096 alignment requirement, but they are 4096bytes
sized too, so it should not be a problem. I have attached the "readelf
-Sl" output of each kernel.

1- Original kernel:       2396464 bytes
2- Partitioned kernel: 2144924 bytes
3- Stripped kernel:       2143660 bytes

> Possibly the kernel is already frugal with the symbols and debug
> information it exports and there is nothing to strip.

The sections I want to strip only contain code (initially located in
the .text section). The debug sections are already stripped in standard
kernels.

--
Javier Cabezas RodrÃguez
Phd. Student - DAC (UPC)