Re: Updating top-level autoconf to 2.59

> 2006-12-09  Daniel Jacobowitz  <dan@codesourcery.com>
>
> 	* Makefile.tpl (build_alias, host_alias, target_alias): Use
> 	noncanonical equivalents.
> 	* configure.in: Update AC_PREREQ.  Prevent error for AS_FOR_TARGET.
> 	Set build_noncanonical, host_noncanonical, and target_noncanonical.
> 	Use them.  Rewrite removal of configure arguments for autoconf
> 	2.59.  Discard variable settings.
> 	* Makefile.in: Regenerated.
> 	* configure: Regenerated with autoconf 2.59.

When I use automake (1.9.6) to try and regenerate Makefile.in I get:

$ automake
configure.in: no proper invocation of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE was found.
configure.in: You should verify that configure.in invokes AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE,
configure.in: that aclocal.m4 is present in the top-level directory,
configure.in: and that aclocal.m4 was recently regenerated (using aclocal).
automake: no `Makefile.am' found for any configure output

I tried running aclocal (worked fine) followed by automake but I got the
same message from automake.  Am I missing a step?  Running autoconf also
works fine, but I can't seem to regenerate Makefile.in.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com