Re: PATCH: Support LD_SYMBOLIC and LD_SYMBOLIC_FUNCTIONS

On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 07:48:07PM -0800, H. J. Lu wrote:
> I rebuilt firefox with -Bsymbolic-functions. It significantly reduced
> number of relocations in DSOs and improved firefox load time.  This
> patch allows me to apply -Bsymbolic-functions on firefox by just
> setting LD_SYMBOLIC_FUNCTIONS before compiling it.  It will make it
> trivial to rebuild any or all packages with -Bsymbolic-functions and
> improve system performance.

Just my two cents, but I think this is a horribly bad idea, for the
same reason that there isn't a general $LD_OPTIONS variable (or
$GCC_OPTIONS).  It will hurt reproducibility.

If you can't get a package to honor $LDFLAGS, then use a wrapper script
for ld.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery