Re: [patch][rfc] Complex Relocations gas and bfd

Nick Clifton wrote:

I'm wondering how this could be done. As I understand it, relocations are applied to fields in insns. How could we construct test cases which are not specific to a given ISA?

Frank Eigler mentioned one way - extending GAS to allow the generation of complex expressions in a target neutral way.

OK -- so when someone undertakes to extend gas in such a way, these kinds of tests will be possible. This is, however not the goal of this implementation. Are you asking me to undertake this work as condition of acceptance?

Another way might be to create a new "generic" target which uses the complex relocations but which does not represent a real architecture. (This target might also be used as a template for creating new target ports).

How does this improve upon the existence of a real target (MeP) which generates these relocs, has a testsuite, and which could also be used as a template creating new target ports?

Dave