Re: Updating top-level autoconf to 2.59

On Feb  8, 2007, "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> I don't see how this could be a side effect of Dan's patch (not that I
>> looked very hard into it).  I do know autoconf 2.5x is different from
>> autoconf 2.13 in this regard (see node 'Hosts and Cross-Compilation'
>> in the autoconf manual for the gory details), but I'd have thought
>> that this change would have affected us a long time ago, when the gcc
>> subdir switched to autoconf 2.5x.  Is that not so?

> That section describes how autoconf goes into cross-compilation mode (host
> != build, building a compiler that won't run on the system on which you
> build it) and how that has changed.  I don't see anything relevant to the
> issue of how it decides whether the compiler being built is a
> cross-compiler (host != target) or what names it would be installed under.

AFAIK autoconf has no authority whatsoever on how you decide whether
the programs under construction are cross tools or not.  Its only step
in this direction is that, if --target is explicitly specified, it
implies --program-prefix=$target-.  But then, what names you install
under is something under the Makefile control, which autoconf does not
really affect in any way.

The info node above documents what changed in autoconf in this regard.
If you don't see answers to your questions there, odds are that these
are not questions for autoconf.