Re: Configure options --with-bugurl, --with-pkgversion

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007, Andreas Schwab wrote:

> "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph@codesourcery.com> writes:
>
> > --with-pkgversion adds a parenthesised string with an overall package
> > name and version number for the package just before the GNU version
> > number, so the GNU version number remains the text after the last
> > space on the list as specified by the GNU Coding Standards.
>
> But the last word in the version string is not the version number, it is
> the date stamp.

Well, it *should* be the version number (and is in releases); that it's
the date stamp is a pre-existing bug in CVS versions I didn't fix.

Standard output would be more like

GNU ld (GNU Binutils 2.17.50 20070220) 2.17.50

where the text after the last space is the real version number, and
--with-pkgversion replaces the "GNU Binutils 2.17.50 20070220".  The date
after the last space, the word "version" in the output and the lack of a
(GNU Binutils) or (GNU Binutils $version) are pre-existing bugs.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com