Updating libtool in GCC and srctree

Now that autoconf has been updated to 2.59, I would like to update the
libtool that GCC and the binutils/gdb/etc use.  Unfortunately, I am not
having much luck coming up with a patch and figuring out what all needs
to be reconfigured.

Here is what I have tried so far.  In the libtool documentation it says
that to include libtool in your package you need to add config.guess,
config.sub, install-sh, and ltmain.sh to your package.  We already have
the install-sh that is in the latest libtool and our config.guess and
config.sub look to be newer than the ones in libtool so that just leaves
ltmain.sh.  I downloaded the 2.1a snapshot of libtool and found
ltmain.sh in libltdl/config/ltmain.sh, I copied that to the top level of
the src tree and then removed libtool.m4, ltconfig, ltcf-c.sh,
ltcf-cxx.sh, and ltcf-gcj.sh.

I was able to run autoconf on the top-level of the source tree with no
errors but when I did a configure/make I got the following error while
make was in the bfd subdirectory:

make[3]: Entering directory `/proj/opensrc/sje/svn.libtool/build-ia64-hp-hpux11.
23-trunk/obj_src/bfd'
make[3]: LIBTOOL@: Command not found
make[3]: *** [archive.lo] Error 127

So I went into bfd and tried to run autoconf there but I get the errors:

$ /proj/opensrc/be/ia64-hp-hpux11.23/bin/autoconf
configure.in:13: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.in:20: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_DISABLE_SHARED

I tried changing the macros to AC_* but that didn't help, should I just
use m4_pattern_allow or am I missing a bigger picture here?

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com