Re: Help regarding BFD retargeting.

You will probably want to add code to bfd/elfxx-ia64.c, and possibly
include/elf/ia64.h.  You will also want to add your new target to
bfd/archures.c, bfd/config.bfd, ld/configure.tgt and config.sub.  If you
are changing the assembler as well then you may need to modify
gas/configure.tgt.  If you need to create new relocations then they will
have to be added to bfd/reloc.c.

Hi Nick,
 archures.c will just have the support for the target architecture
but our target architecture is ia64.. So, I dont think there is any
need to add line there.

Also, elfxx-ia64.c and elf64-ia64.c are almost same, where should I
add the code..  I ve added it to elf64-ia64.c for the time being..

objdump is not recognizing the file format ..

[root@localhost binutils]# ./objdump -s /root/Desktop/testcase/test.o
./objdump: /root/Desktop/testcase/test.o: File format not recognized

So, where can the changes be made to dump the object file information?

On 3/20/07, Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> wrote:
Hi Aashish,

>    I am trying to retarget the bfd library of the GNU binutils for a
> new target which uses elf64 object file format and ia64 architecture.
>   So, can you please tell which files need modifications

You will probably want to add code to bfd/elfxx-ia64.c, and possibly
include/elf/ia64.h.  You will also want to add your new target to
bfd/archures.c, bfd/config.bfd, ld/configure.tgt and config.sub.  If you
are changing the assembler as well then you may need to modify
gas/configure.tgt.  If you need to create new relocations then they will
have to be added to bfd/reloc.c.

It is also worth remembering that the auto-generated files in the bfd/
directory (eg bfd-in2.h, libbfd.h) can be made by running "make headers"
from inside a build bfd/ directory.

Cheers
   Nick

--