Re: SVN for src (was Re: Binutils 2.18 prep)

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 11:05:57 +0000
Andrew STUBBS <andrew.stubbs@st.com> wrote:
> I think you misunderstand externals.
I think I rather misunderstood you, and tried to address different
particular problems that you were trying to address.

> 1. External directories are automatically checked out when you check
> out the parent. My suggestion is specifically NOT to check out ALL
> subdirectories.
Okay, then for that, externals is mostly useless.. although you can
still use -n to checkout non-recursively the main directory and then
checkout what you actually need (this is what I actually do for KDE and
a few other cases).
As I said, different scopes on the suggestions, I was suggesting a way
to avoid the extra script, you were suggesting a way to avoid the whole
checkout.

> 3. You can't commit the whole tree at once, if part of it is
> external, unlike with switched directories (from the same
> repository), where it is totally transparent.
And this is a point well taken, I didn't think at all of this, thanks
for the insight, it's something I'll have to think about next time I
set up a repository.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" PettenÃ
http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/