Re: Always include elf.lo?

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 05:53:43PM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> > GDB currently includes elfread.o on all targets.
>
> Why does GDB do this ?  Wouldn't it make more sense for GDB only to include it
> for ELF based targets ?

Because then GDB would have to know which targets "were ELF based".
You can feed GDB any object file you want, from any toolchain - not
necessarily a GNU one.  I think it would even work, in most cases,
without special BFD support for ELF on that platform; we'll still get
addresses, symbol names, and so forth.  But you've got to have at
least the ELF reader.

Also, probably, because this way we didn't need to keep track of which
targets were which.

I'll try an autoconf solution instead.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz