Re: patch: Updated II windres tool Part 1 of 2

Brian Dessent wrote:

> newly-built binutils are used in the process of building Cygwin.  When
> it gets to rebuilding winver.o, the invoked command is:
>
> /build/combined/./binutils/windres --include-dir
> /usr/src/sourceware/winsup/cygwin/../w32api/include --include-dir
> /usr/src/sourceware/winsup/cygwin/include --define
> CYGWIN_BUILD_DATE=2007-05-23 --define CYGWIN_BUILD_TIME=15:06 --define
> CYGWIN_VERSION="1.7.0" /usr/src/sourceware/winsup/cygwin/winver.rc
> winver.o
>
> This just hangs with no output and no activity until ^C.

Okay, I figured out that I had the old flex lexer as $builddir/rclex.c
and the new hand lexer has the same name as $srcdir/rclex.c, so the old
one was being used still.  The very first thing I tried before anything
else was "make clean" and rebuilding else but the Makfile.am no longer
lists rclex as a generated file so there was no rule to clean it, so it
stuck around in $builddir.  Grumble, wish I had thought of that before
going to all the trouble of debugging it.  I even remember reading the
thread where it was discussed replacing the flex lexer.  Doh.

But now I'm getting a syntax error on the Cygwin rc file that didn't
happen with the old windres:

/build/combined/./binutils/windres:
/usr/src/sourceware/winsup/cygwin/winver.rc:38: syntax error

Line 38 is:

      VALUE "InternalName", CYGWIN_DLL_NAME

After preprocessing, it is:

      VALUE "InternalName", "cygwin1" ".dll"

So it looks like it can't do C style string concat.  Missing feature?
Or bug to expect it should work?

Brian

[ Also, on a completely unrelated note, every time I reply-all to one of
these mailing lists where there's someone with a @redhat.com email, I
get an annoying bounce:

    SMTP error from remote mailer after MAIL FROM:<brian@dessent.net>:
    host mx1.redhat.com [66.187.233.31]: 550 5.0.0 Banned due to spam

Obviously my box is clean and not on any spam RBLs, and is not rejected
anywhere else that I've ever tried to mail.  I've tried emailing various
root/postmaster accounts about this but nothing has happened.  Who do I
need to contact at redhat about their overzealous filtering? ]

Brian