Re: GProf's sampling inaccuracies

[Why did you reply to the list only, not to me?  I could
have very likely missed this mail.  Next time, when replying
to a mailing list, use "reply to all".]

Use -pg only in the final link, so you don't get mcount()
implanted into every function.  You won't have a call count
or a call graph, but you do get a much more accurate time
profile in return.

Unfortunately, everytime I tired running gprof on the debug version of the
program which only does profiling at link-time, I got "gprof: gmon.out file
is missing call-graph data".

info gprof (short story: gprof -p or gprof -Q )

For some strange reason the optimized version (that is, built from the
"optimized" profile in KDevelop) didn't give me this trouble. However, the
execution time for CompareReferences() went up 70%. God help me if that's
more accurate!

No idea. Could be KDevelop's fault, could be anything else.

Segher