Re: MIPS / assertion fail or the build error when using --gc-sections and --export-dynamic option

Yuji Ogihara wrote:
Dear binutils experts.

I am using the MIPS cross toolchain as follows.

+ binutils 2.18.50.20070819
- configured/builded with
--host=i686-pc-linux-gnu --target=mips-xxx-linux --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu

(Is this the latest version in main CVS repository ?)

+ gcc 4.1.1
- configured/builded with
--host=mips-xxx-linux --build=i686-pc-linux-gnu --with-arch=mips2

I found the several cases that the linker may outputs the "assertion fail"
messages,

That is not good.

or cause the build error when using the --gc-sections and --export-dynamic
option
at the same time.

Would you please give me the information that this is the known issue, or limitation, or the something wrong with me.

It does not surprise me that this happens. I spent quite a bit of effort getting --gc-sections working on mipsel-linux, but I never tried it in conjunction with --export-dynamic.

Unfortunately I don't know of any alternative to running ld under a debugger and figuring out what is going wrong, and then fixing it.

David Daney