Re: compile failure due to undefined symbol

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Nick Clifton wrote:

> Hi Peter,
>
> > Attached you'll find what I used
>
> I could not get that patch to work for me.  (The inclusion of -lbfd-${VERSION}
> did not work because VERSION only expanded into -lbfd-2.18.50 and not
> -lbfd-2.18.50-20071002, and the definition of BFDLIB had only one back-tick not
> two).

tested only on 2.18, not a subversioned one

> But I was able to use it as the basis for a patch which did work.  Would you
> like to try it out and see what you think ?  (The patch is attached, but I have
> not included the regenerated files.  I assume that you are OK to recreate them
> yourself).  I chose to use -rpath rather than -rpath-link and then to
> explicitly link into the shared bfd library rather than using the library
> location mechanism as this appeared to do the right thing.

I assume you checked that using -rpath has really the correct
RPATH/RUNPATH in opcodes/.libs/libopcodes.so and in the finally installed
one in --libdir or whatever.

Wondering if SHARED_DEPENDENCIES should be bfd/libbfd.la, that is for sure
a target in the Makefiles and implies the creation of the needed
libbfd.so, meaning also that the bfd directory is "finalized", I am
sure about bfd/.libs/libbfd.so being a good target.

Will check your patch, thanks

Peter