Re: Binutils 2.18 - makeinfo issue

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 12:45:19PM +1000, Greg Schafer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is really only a minor annoyance but the build of this release craps
> out if `makeinfo' is too old. This doesn't happen with 2.17. It appears
> there's a tiny nit in the `make dist' release procedure somewhere.

I figured out what happened.  elf.texi is dated August 6th; elf.c is
dated August 28th.  That's because elf.c changed between the first
prerelease of binutils 2.18 and the final release, but the bits of it
used to generate elf.texi did not.  So elf.texi gets remade into the
object directory if you build with a separate object directory.  If
you don't, I think it will still go wrong - make will have tried to
regenerate elf.texi and even though move-if-change will leave it alone
make will consider it remade.

The best solution I can see is to touch these generated files during
do-proto-toplev.  Gross, but it would work.  Anyone see a better way?
We need to force them to be touched; but we also need to leave them
in the tarball, so I can't use make maintainer-clean to get rid of them.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery