Re: PATCH: put .sdata2/.sbss2 into the writable segment on vxworks ppc

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 06:13:00PM +0200, Tristan Gingold wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on VxWorks 6 (for powerpc) all the .sdata2 sections of the library are flagged
> RW.
> Therefore during the final link (in RTP mode) the corresponding segment must be
> RW.
> Currently these sections are always put into the RX segment by the linker
> script.  As a consequence
> this segment becomes RWX which is unfortunate.
>
> This patch fixes this issue by adding a new variable: WRITABLE_SDATA2.

(FYI, CodeSourcery builds the official VxWorks toolchains.  We're
sometimes very good at keeping the FSF tree up to date, and sometimes
a bit behind...)

I know I've seen this problem before.  I don't remember the exact
details, but I believe there was a bit more wrong here dealing with
the VxWorks loader's restrictions on the number of segments in
executables.

Nathan, there's a more complete patch with your name on it from
2007-07-24; think you could post it and the followup?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery