ld script help

I am using binutils 2.18 and am having problems with the linker script. I am
somewhat new to linker scripting and the problem is that the binary file
being created by ld is too big. My linker script is as follows:

OUTPUT_FORMAT("binary")
ENTRY(_start)
SECTIONS
{
  .text 0x100000 : {
    code = .; _code = .; __code = .;
    *(.text)
    . = ALIGN(4096);
  }
  .data  : {
    data = .; _data = .; __data = .;
    *(.data)
    . = ALIGN(4096);
  }
  .bss  :
  {
    bss = .; _bss = .; __bss = .;
    *(.bss)
    . = ALIGN(4096);
  }
  end = .; _end = .; __end = .;
}

It seems that the binary file does put everything in "proper" place, like
the code at 0x100000, but with previous ld versions the binary was getting
around 50k and this version is building a 1mb+ binary. I don't know what I
am missing here, can someone help me? Is there some kind of compression the
ld should do?