Re: [ia64] objcopy and constant-gp

Hi Jakub,

1. I have a binary file and want to objcopy it from the binary format to elf64-ia64-little, creating one ELF section in it, the result is called empty.o
2. I want to link empty.o with other .o files that were compiled with -mconstant-gp
3. ld returns an error complaining about linking constant-gp and non-constant-gp object files

So I would like to know if you consider this a regression or if it is actually a feature or a fix introduced in the newest version.

I think I would count this as a feature rather than a bug, purely because there is a better way of achieving what you want to do:

  1. Create a small assembler file that includes the binary file you are
     interested in:

      .section foo, "a", @progbits
      .incbin "the_binary_file"

  2. Assemble this file, and make sure that you include the -mconstant-gp
     option on the command line:

ia64-linux-as -mconstant-gp foo.s -o foo.o

3. Link in this new object file with the rest of your application.

Cheers
  Nick