This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [ia64] objcopy and constant-gp
- From: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>
- To: Jakub Jermar <jakub at jermar dot eu>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 10:27:08 +0100
- Subject: Re: [ia64] objcopy and constant-gp
- References: <4738109C.email@example.com>
On Nov 12, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Jakub Jermar wrote:
the following stopped working for me in ia64 binutils 2.18:
1. I have a binary file and want to objcopy it from the binary
format to elf64-ia64-little, creating one ELF section in it, the
result is called empty.o
2. I want to link empty.o with other .o files that were compiled
3. ld returns an error complaining about linking constant-gp and
non-constant-gp object files
So I would like to know if you consider this a regression or if it
is actually a feature or a fix introduced in the newest version.
Anyway, what I am now most concerned about is if there is a
straightforward way to specify that empty.o should be constructed
with the constant-gp flag. (There is an easy workaround for this:
after objcopy, patch the ELF file manually and set the constant-gp
bit using some hex editor).
This behaviour sounds reasonable.
You'd better to create empty.s which .incbin (see gas manual) the
binary file. Then you assemble empty.s
using the right options (--mconstant-gp).
The link should be successful.