This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: porting to 18 bit architecture
- From: Nick Clifton <nickc at redhat dot com>
- To: Lars Poeschel <larsi at wh2 dot tu-dresden dot de>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:53:28 +0000
- Subject: Re: porting to 18 bit architecture
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The general question now: Is it possible to port binutils to a machine thats
word length can not be divided by 8 or could we ran into trouble somewhere ?
Yes it is possible, but yes you will also run into trouble somewhere. I say
that because as far as I know this would be the first time that an attempt has
been made to port the binutils to an 18-bit address space machine and so you
are likely to run across "powers-of-two" assumptions somewhere in the code.
This does not mean that the port cannot be done, and in fact it would be good
to locate and remove such erroneous assumptions. It is just that you will need
to be extra careful when you are coding.