Support of OpenVMS

Hi,

at AdaCore we are using binutils (but not ld ;-) on both Alpha and Itanium OpenVMS. We are using
slightly old versions (resp 2.16 and 2.17).

I'd like to update our tools and submit them - maybe someone else is interested.

The most challenging point is the build process. The traditional approach was to have VMS specific
scripts (config.com, makefile.vms). This is very easy to use for the build but it's VMS specific of course.
Most of these scripts are still here but the gas/ one which have been removed in 2005. Not a big deal.
These scripts can only handle vax and alpha. Adding ia64 should be doable but I can't test vax.
Also these scripts use gcc.

The other approach is to use the standard mechanism: configure, as there is a port of a few GNU tools on VMS.
However the standard configure doesn't work as is and we have to use the VMS one or we have to modify
autoconf. As the port has been done by DEC/HP, it is based on DEC- C. As a drawback, executing configure or
any long shell script is very slow on VMS.

I don't know which approach is the better one from binutils maintainer point of view, so I'd like to have
your opinion first.

Tristan.