Re: multiarch proposal

"Matt Rice" <ratmice@gmail.com> writes:

> I assume this is some sugar so you don't have to specify -L?
> anyhow if you don't mind using a bit of magic and specifying
> -L/lib/arch/ etc you might be able to do this without patching
> anything
> by using a substitution sequence
>
> libfoo.so: foo.o
>         gcc -fPIC -shared -o libfoo.so -Wl,-soname='$${ARCH}$@' $<

The basic problem is that if I convert libfoo to multiarch then I have
to patch every libfoo using source. That is backwards.

Further I would have to do for >10000 source packages in debian. That
is clearly inpractical.

> anyhow... it doesn't seem like something which absolutely requires ld support,
> its just rather tedious when doing it at a distribution level having
> to manually specify everythings libdir...

ld is just the one common point in all of this where a trivial change
would solve the problem. And the cost for systems not using it is a
measly stat call.

MfG
        Goswin