Re: multiarch proposal

David Miller <davem@davemloft.net> writes:

> From: Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de>
> Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 18:35:34 +0200
>
>> And, hey look, the ldscript already lists the search paths and they
>> are generated during build. That's where my patch plugs in the new
>> dirs. :)
>
> For linkers like gold, which don't use emulation scripts, you
> will need to find another solution.

I have no idea about gold but it should use the same paths in the end.

> Many gcc backends send options to ld to override the search path
> anyways, so really it looks to me like that's where the any such
> changes might need to be.

Unfortunately this is true. But you said "many" and not "all" and many
people don't even use gcc to link. So I have to correct my previous
mail. binutils is not the one place this needs to be fixed but one of
the places.

But it can't not be fixed without breaking a ton of stuff. And just
pointing fingers at the other involved packages like gold or gcc won't
change that. Lacking a global configuration file for all of them they
each have to change themself to transparently support the directories.

MfG
        Goswin